Monday, October 7, 2013

REALLY?

Did you read my post about my mysterious trip to Michaels, how I walked in and two hours later pulled two very large shopping bags full of crafts I will never do, not to mention the 78.62 price tag?  Well, my son asked me to go back for rubber bands for his loom, and I waited because frankly, I had to pay my mortgage and not spend it in Michaels!

What am I talking about?  The Rainbow Loom

The new nirvana of children, the obsession as you make rubber band bracelets.  Why?

Because you can show that special girl you like her by making her a bracelet.

You can sit and cry when you Cobra weave doesn't work and you did it exactly the way the kid in the YouTube Video told you to do.

You can show how cool you are by the intricate bracelet designs on your arm.

In my son's case, you can get paid by other kids to make bracelets that they then give to the girl of their dreams (yes, he takes after the better half)

So yes, before you judge, I have a son that looms, or weaves, or makes bracelets.

Back to my trying not to drop a mortgage payment in Michaels this time around.

We walk in with a list of the different color bands he wants and imagine my surprise.



Not a single loom in the store.

Not a single band in the store.

Really, who are all these kids weaving their bracelets?  Didn't they realize that my son was running out of black and he will make my life miserable?

He looks at me and I frantically look around store, "What?  No looms, no rubber bands?  What is he supposed to do, weave human hair?"  I yell at the cashier.

She calmly says (I guess i'm not the only Mom freaking out), "You can sign up for our loom waiting list, but if you register for the Rainbow Loom Retreat October 18-20th in Asheville you get a free loom with registration.  It is a wonderful time, there will be looming, meditation and detoxing.  All of our Looming Thursday Group kids love it."

I am speechless.  OK, I'm not the only freaky one - we leave the store with me giving myself a point for not signing him up for the Rainbow Loom Retreat JUST TO GET A LOOM BECAUSE BANDS COME WITH IT.

For now we are in a holding pattern, one woman says to me as we leave, "If you hear of any one with non see through neon green bands, I'm prepared to pay top dollar for them."

I smile at her.

I feel your pain honey, I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment