Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Grade Mom - who's idea was this?

I've been asked to be the Grade Mom by my 9 year old.  He did it after two glasses of wine, that sneaky kid!  So here is why he asked:

We have Fall (I am not allowed to say Halloween) treat bags for the last day of the quarter.  Like a good grade parent, I sent out the call for trinkets (I was trying to be responsible) for the bags.  Obviously all the parents must have good dental insurance (which I pay cash for) because the pile of candy that came in was astounding!  Here's why my son wanted this job.

"This bag says there are 30 pieces.  There are 23 kids in the class," he says.
"That AG math is paying off," I reply.
"I'm just going to eat the other 7 so everyone gets one, OK."

"This one is 140 pieces and since 23 goes into 6 times, I'm going to count those out and hold on to the rest."

Do you see a trend here?

"Look this bag is 3.5 POUNDS of candy, do you want me to count it out in groups of 23 - it is a good math exercise."

So he uses his Math skills, separates it all out.  Then leaves it in big piles all over the kitchen for ME to put in our candy bags.

Ten minutes later.

"We have too much candy, it's not fitting in the bags I bought."

My son smiles devilishly.



Oh and to that OTHER Grade Mom who's making Rainbow Loom bracelets out of the school colors for the class - well, you suck!  Especially when everyone in my class will have their teeth falling out saying, "Why didn't we get a bracelet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment