Monday, January 6, 2014

Stupid Criminals

My home was broken into sometime over the holidays by some very stupid criminals.

We noticed it when we came through the door - me wondering if a raccoon got loose in the house as a bunch of stuff was knocked over and moved around.

It wasn't until we noticed that a TV was missing.  Here's where they got stupid:

Our house has 5 TV's, they took the oldest one, left the smart TVs for the LCD.

They took the one that required the most work to unhook, so someone was probably cussing.

They went through my jewelry box and left:
A diamond and gold watch
A Raymond Weil watch
Several cocktail rings
Gold bracelet

And took one ring?

Oh, and the antique firearms - well, they are still safe and sound while someone took a $80 electric guitar.

Anyway, I call the police and they come immediately telling me that they still must fill out a report about the incident even if I am not filing an insurance claim.

Officer comes in, "Is the house clear?"

Me, "Um, yes.  I came in and noticed someone had broken in but had to take my kids to school."

He looks at me strangely, "Have you looked under the beds and in the basement?"

I hesitate.

He punts his hand on  his gun and says, "Maam, stand back.  We must make sure the house is clear."

I'm looking around for Shemar Moore as I hear them banging doors in the basement yelling, "Clear!"

We go through the house itemizing items taken.  I am suddenly aware that my house needs a cleaning.  We stop at the door to my son's room.

"So they went through all the drawers," Officer asks.

I look at every drawer hanging open, clothes on the floor, "Uh no, unfortunately that's normal."

I have to wait for backup in the form of the Crime Scene Unit, and sit through another hour of fingerprinting and asking more questions.  When the fingerprint girl starts to go into the boys rooms, he says, "Don't worry about that  - that's normal."

She finishes by fingerprinting me.  I am given a police report, told to watch for cars driving slowly through the neighborhood (we have a lot of elderly neighbors, everyone drives slow around here) and that they will do everything they can to catch the suspects.

Have I told you how hard it is to clean up fingerprint dust?



No comments:

Post a Comment