Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More Snow Days.....

Here, down south as my friends in Baltimore and Boston say, we've had our blizzard of 3 inches.  Now to Southerner's that's considered a blizzard as our first snow day was called before the first flake even fell, the shelves were cleared out of milk, bread, eggs, coffee - the ABC store shelves cleared of vodka, Baileys, rum.....we know how to do a snow day right.

The first one went off smoothly, we had Science Fair projects to work on all day, something that kept both adults and kids attention span.  Day 2 we did all the snow day things you're supposed to do.  Sled down a hill with an inch of snow on it, found the patches of snow that were actually white to make our traditional snow cream, made the hot chocolate, then settled with the movies.  The second day we ventured out on the roads because frankly two days of staring at each other everyone was ready to get out.

Now, I'm scared.  It's day three and the boys have resorted to beating each other with bats, and I'm just watching them because in my mind, it's a little exercise, and something for them to do.  I've even added a few, "you're not hitting each other hard enough" to sweeten the deals for both of them.  I know that I'm getting bored because halfway through the morning I decided that I NEEDED to make some granola for more healthy eating while munching away at the chocolate chip cookies (kind of defeated my purpose) so when I'm cooking and they're beating each other we needed to get out.

The best way to survive a snow day without alcohol involved is to call in reinforcements, their friends.  Invite the friends over and their attention moves from bugging you or beating each other to playing with their friend.  Many have wondered why I'm always the first to bring children over to my house so here's my dirty little secret, having friends over means I ACTUALLY get things done.  See, it's 1:30p and I'm writing a blog while they show their friend Angry Birds on the computer.

So I sit, relax, enjoy the beautiful white snow and listen to my boys make fart noises with their friends, knowing that I will survive this day until the beautiful sound of bus brakes squeaking pierces the silence of the school morning.  I stop with my Zen cup of tea halfway to my mouth, what is there's a day 4?

What will you do to survive snow days?

1 comment:

  1. So funny! Glad I could help out with the friends thing, but glad I wasn't there for the batting practice!!

    ReplyDelete