Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to win an argument...

Arguing with children is pretty close to banging your head on a tree in the middle of a blizzard while naked.  There are a few steps here that I learned from my mother that can help us win the argument:

1.  Because I said so, this usually prompts the "why" but with the authority that this sentence keeps, you can just say it and walk away from it.  You are the authority and if they question this, you can always return with, "Really?  You want to know why?  Well, I'll tell you why....because I said so!"

2.  "Do we really want to go there?"  This is such a great answer, give them the exasperated look like you really do know what they are arguing about (which you don't) but don't want to go there.  If they persist, then you can always answer with, "You don't want to go there," or "you'll regret it if we go there" and can always fall back on the "because I said so" if they really won't let you NOT go there.

3.  Oh yeah?  Well don't make me come over there."  Sure you are arguing but this threat usually has them quiet because of the days when you used to reach in the back seat for some type of hair when they are arguing and that was the child that got in trouble.  This stops an argument on a dime because they don't want you to come over and grab something, they'll leave the argument alone because, well, you said so.

4.  "That's It, I've had enough"  You are at the point in the argument where you can't go any further, usually this is the case where they are gaining the upper hand and if you say anything further you're digging further into your grave.  This allows you to walk away, if they question add in a "Don't make me cover over there" with a "Do we really have to go there?" 

Finally as you collapse into your chair with your glass of wine and you see them sneaking over to you, add in a quick, "Because I said so."   How do you argue with your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment