Sunday, May 17, 2015

You can't write 52 shitty stories - Alonzo's story

Alonzo’s Story

Kathleen knew it was going to be a disaster.  Trying her positive reasoning on herself, she whispered,  “It will be fine.  It is just the first meeting, everyone will get over it and life will go on.”

“This too shall pass.”  She added as they crossed the street to Sullivan’s Bar.

“What did you say?”  Hearing his deep melodic voice, Kathleen lost her train of thought.

“Mmmm?” she loved looking at his curly black hair, her hand almost touching it, confirming it was as soft as it looked.  His dark brown eyes sparkled, Kathleen warning herself to not get caught up in them.

“You said something?”  Alonzo smiled at her, his even white teeth bright against his dark skin, his hand wrapped around Kathleen’s, the warmth making her cheeks turn red.

“Oh, nothing, I was just talking to myself.” They stopped in front of the bar, holding hands.  “We don’t have to go in here if you don’t want to?” Kathleen half said to herself.

Alonzo turned to his girlfriend, taking both of her hands, looking deep into her eyes.  “My Kathleen, we are here.  What would we tell your family if we invited them to drinks but we didn’t show up? I don’t think that would be a very good first impression for me?  I am trying to impress the family, you know.”  He leaned forward, kissing her on the lips, lingering for a moment, knowing exactly how to drive her distraction.

Kathleen pulled back, her fingers lightly touching her lips, he did have a talent of making her forget everything.  This time it was difficult forgetting her family, knowing they were in the bar, watching the football game, drinking beer, contemplating her new lover coming to meet them.  Poor Alonzo had so many other things against him besides his young age.  Her family was going to crucify him.  Grabbing Alonzo’s hand, Kathleen pulled him away from the front of Sullivan’s bar, into the side alley.  Pushing him up against the wall, she tried her hand at distraction, kissing him hard, molding her body against him.  Pushing aside the scenario playing out in her head as her family met Alonzo, she went with the moment, enjoying his hands as they slid around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

Alonzo abruptly ended the kiss, putting Kathleen away from him, his hands moving from her waist to her shoulders.  “You thought you could distract me.  As much as I would like to explore this more, I am going to meet your family.”

Looking at Alonzo, Kathleen sighed.  There were so many reasons they should not be together, age just one of them.  For some reason he didn’t listen to any of them, his kisses making her forget all the reasons and coming back for more.  “You know that I’ve grown up in a pretty traditional Irish Catholic family.”

Alonzo smiled, Kathleen melted.  “I am Catholic too, so there is something in common.”

Kathleen sighed, he was so optimistic.  “It’s not the Catholic thing that may bother them.”

“My mother prays the rosary every day.  They will like that we are the same religion.”  Alonzo said.

“It’s not that.  You see,” Kathleen paused, taking in his amazing tanned skin, the tight white t-shirt accentuating every muscle, not to mention different parts of his body accentuated by his tight black jeans.  He looked so dangerous, but was so sweet.  “They’ve been looking for a nice boy for me for a while.”

Kissing her lightly on the lips, Alonzo brushed a piece of hair behind her ear, “I am a nice boy.  I go to church.  I have a job.  I respect you.  What else makes a nice boy?”

Figuring she wasn’t going to add “Irish” to the list , he’d find that out soon enough, Kathleen shrugged, “Let’s go meet them, OK?” .

The inside of the bar was busy, a usual crowd for a Thursday night.  Kathleen could hear her brother’s shout immediately, damning herself for putting Alonzo in the middle of insanity.  His light touch on the small of her back warmed her cheeks as they moved through the crowd to a table in the back of the bar, close enough to the TV.  Noticing her family brought her grandmother along, Kathleen contemplating turning and running away.  Alonzo’s warm hand covered hers, she heard determination in his voice.  “It will be a nice family get together.”

Figuring she might as well get the show on the road, Kathleen pulled Alonzo over to the table, holding his hand, wondering if she was hurting him.  Everyone was in mid argument, her father and brother screaming at the TV over the ref’s call, her grandmother, mother and sister arguing how much they knew about Kathleen’s new boyfriend.

“Mom, Patty, Nana, this my boyfriend Alonzo.”  Kathleen felt like she was standing in front of a firing squad.

Everyone at the table went silent, all eyes moving from Kathleen to the handsome young Italian man standing next to her with a brilliant smile on his face.  Immediately crossing herself, Kathleen’s grandmother whispered, “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, where are all the Irish boys?”

Kathleen wanted to hiss, “Get your jaws off the table, this is embarrassing!”  She knew Alonzo was slightly younger than her, but did they have to act that ridiculous?  Turning to her boyfriend, Kathleen shrugged toward her dumbfounded family, saying, “I’m sorry.”

Ignoring her, Alonzo moved toward the table, taking Kathleen’s father, Buddy’s hand, shaking it vigorously.  “I am so glad to meet Kathleen’s family.  She tells me so many good things about you.”

“I’ll bet she does.”  Kathleen’s brother, Ned shook Alonzo’s hand next, looking down at his hand, flexing it from the Italian’s firm shake.

Turning from Buddy and Ned, Alonzo focused his attention on Kathleen’s mother, grandmother and sister.  “Oh, I see where my beautiful Kathleen gets her looks from, she looked exactly like you Mrs. Murphy.  You must be so proud.”

Kathleen’s mother, Jean, mug of beer halfway to her lips, regarded the Italian. Her eyes slowly moving down the tight white T-shirt, lingering on the black jeans, the large silver belt buckle accentuating his slim hips.  “Well, I’ll be.”  She whispered.

Molly, Kathleen’s sister just sat staring at Alonzo.  He smiled at her, making her face turn red.  Kathleen knew that reaction well, she experienced the same reaction when Alonzo first came up to her, talking to her.  She met him in the local bar she frequented with her friends every Thursday night.  It took several conversations with him before realizing he was talking to her, more meetings with friends before convincing her he wanted to be with her.  After dating for 6 months, Alonzo was ready for the next step, Kathleen still secretly unconvinced that he cared for her.  After a marathon lovemaking session, when he had her at her weakest, he got her to agree to meeting the family.  The first question her grandmother asked, confirmed Kathleen’s fears.  Could this sweet boy handle the Murphy family?

“How old are you?”

Alonzo laughed.  “Kathleen said you would ask me that.  I am 28 years old, I have traveled the world by backpack, and I absolutely adore your daughter.”

Kathleen sighed as her father’s eyes went from the TV screen to her, one eyebrow raised.  Luckily, fate intervened in her favor, the football game coming back on.  Buddy turned back to the TV, picking up his beer from the table.  “We’ve got a chance at a touchdown here, let’s hope they don’t settle for a field goal.”

Alonzo looked up to the TV screen.  “Look Kathleen, your father and I have another thing in common besides loving you, we both like sports.  I watch the real football.”

Buddy stopped, beer midway to his mouth, turning to the young Italian boy.  “Excuse me?”

Neal stood next to his Dad, “Did he just say what I think he said?”

Kathleen stepped between her boyfriend, father and brother.  “Dad, he’s from Italy.  That’s the type of football they watch.  Give him a break, OK?”

Buddy stopped for a minute, looking at the Italian.  “When you are with us, you watch the N-F-L, the best sport in the world.  Now let’s see if the Ravens can get a touchdown.”

Alonzo started to say something to Kathleen’s father, Kathleen quickly turning him toward her, “Why don’t you grab us a beer honey.  All this commotion has made me thirsty.”  Molly, Kathleen’s sister watched, leaning over to their mother.  “Man I could touch that any day.”

Alonzo smiled at the women, before leaving them for a trip to the bar. Kathleen pulled out a chair, sitting with the women of her family, she only had a few minutes to set them straight.  “Before you say anything.  He really is sweet, and nice, and….”

Molly looked back to the bar, Alonzo was leaning forward ordering, his ass visible in the tight black jeans.  “You don’t have to give me any explanation.  One look at that body and I totally understand sister.  Totally understand.”

Nana wasn’t as fazed as Molly.  “Kathleen Marie, In my younger age I was distracted by a German boy, but marrying a nice Irish boy was the best decision I ever made.  What happened to Seamus O’Reilly?  He was such a nice boy.”

Kathleen looked at her grandmother.  “Jeez Nana, that was in the 8th grade!  I’m a little older than that.”

Nana looked over to Alonzo.  “Well, he he looked like he’s in the 8th grade?”

Jean laughed.  “Honey, we are all just a little surprised.  You said you were bringing a boyfriend, you could have prepared us a little more.”

Kathleen smiled.  “I know, but then you’d all be telling me everything wrong with him.”

Molly sighed, looking back again at Alonzo’s ass.  “Oh, I can’t find anything on that list.  Not a thing.”
“I wanted you to see how sweet he was before judging him on his looks.”

Watching him walk back to the table, two beers in hand, a big smile on his face, Jean turned back to her daughter, “I am sure he is sweet.”

“Like sugar.”  Molly said, becoming quiet as Alonzo sat at the table next to Kathleen.  He leaned over touching his lips to her cheek sliding a beer in front of her.  Molly sighed.

Alonzo turned to Jean, his smile bright.  “So Kathleen tells me that you work with books.  I am hoping to become a writer one day.  I’ve traveled, now want to settle down and write!”  His enthusiasm was contagious.

Jean sighed.  “Yes, I am an editor for a local magazine.  I write a food column for them also.”

Alonzo clapped his hands together, looking at Kathleen.  “You did not tell me your mother is a chef!  That is another thing we have in common.  I love to cook.  Kathleen thinks that my recipe for meat balls is the best she’s ever tasted.”

Molly almost spit out her beer.  “Oh I am sure Kathleen loves eating your balls.”

“Molly!”

Alonzo, unaware of what transpired continued.  “I can come and make my sauce and balls for you.  We can have a special family time with it.”
Nana crossed herself again.  “Jesus, Mary and Joseph.”

Buddy came back to the conversation.  “I can’t believe they only got a field goal on that run.  They should have gone for the touch down.”  He looked Alonzo up and down.  “What do you do?”

Alonzo stood up, shaking Buddy’s hand again.  “I am a chef.  I hope to write a cook book one day.”

“He says that he has the best balls in town.”  Molly added with a wink.

“Molly!”  Kathleen felt her face heat up.  Buddy looked down at Molly.  “You need to cool it young lady.”

Molly shrugged.  “He tells me to cool it when Kathleen brings this to the table?”

“So, how long have you been dating?”  Jean asked, moving the conversation off of Alonzo’s balls.

“Six months.”

“How did you meet?”  Molly asked.

Alonzo covered Kathleen’s hand.  “Kathleen came to my restaurant for a cooking class.”
The family looked over to Kathleen, who shrugged.  Molly was the first to say what was on everyone’s mind.  “You, cook?  You can’t even boil water.”

Kathleen laughed looking over to Alonzo for real.  “I guess I got sick of eating Ramen noodles all the time.  I wanted to cook a decent meal.  I was planning on having everyone over for dinner once I figured out how to make something.”

The entire table laughed.  Alonzo frowned, looking at them.  “What do you mean?  Kathleen is talented in the kitchen.”

Nana clucked her tongue.  “I am sure she is, does she help with your balls?”

This time Buddy looked over to his mother.  “Mom, that is not appropriate.”

“Yes, we cook them together now.  She is learning very quickly.  You would think she has a little Italian in her.”  Alonzo replied with a smile.

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph.” Nana crossed herself as Molly spit out her beer, Neal opened his mouth, shutting it quickly as the game came back on

Alonzo frowned.  “I am glad that Kathleen brought me to meet you.  I want you to know that I am in love with this woman.  She makes me smile every morning.  I know that she is a few years older than me.”

“A few?”  Molly asked.

“Yes, a few, but I believe in love, nothing else matters but the person you want to be with.  If that person is older then she is older.  Why do you Americans not say a word about a person that is younger than me?  I see a beautiful woman who makes me laugh, makes me feel good about myself, and yes, she may not cook but I love taking care of her.  I love hearing her sighs, I love rubbing her feet, I love reading books to her.  We may not be the same age but we are compatible.  What we are looking for is not your approval, but that you share this amazing journey of life with us.  We don’t need a blessing, we need each other.  We can watch the N-F-L, we can make meatballs and marinara sauce, we can have a beer together.  It is your choice.”

The entire table was silent staring at Alonzo, moving over to Kathleen.  She was looking at him, her eyes soft, her mouth in a silent ‘“oh.”  Looking over to her family, Kathleen simply shrugged, he’d said enough for the two of them.  All the doubt she felt about them being together vanished, she fell that instant, hook line and sinker.  She knew at that moment, looking at the promise in his eyes as he smiled at her that she was going to marry that man, have quite a few kids with him and possibly learn how to cook in her lifetime.  Everything in Kathleen’s life changed that moment.


Nana took a deep breath looking between the two of them.  “So back to your balls.”

No comments:

Post a Comment