Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Be Who You Are


This is am amazing video:
Embrace The Documentary

When you really think about it, we spend way too much time worrying about the way we look.  I watched this video, shocked that when  asked to describe their body in one word, women responded with:

fat
disgusting
wrinkly
gross

This got me thinking about what I tell myself in the mirror when I look at my naked body, that conversation I have with myself, those words have appeared from time to time.  I am changing that conversation, looking at who I am, rather than worrying, celebrating the story told in wrinkles, cellulite and softness.

Wrinkles, lines, and crows feet oh my.  There are too many stories written on my face.  Those laugh lines are badges earned, the worry line a product of watching two young men grow into amazing adults.  When my sons tell me, "Don't worry," I just point to the line saying, "Hasn't worked yet!"  I can remember stories told, trying not to pee my pants, wondering was that when that extra line around my mouth was formed?

My legs may have cellulite but in my lifetime, how many miles have they run?  How many finish lines have they carried me across, sometimes when both of us are out of gas?  Those legs chased toddlers for years, ran to grab children out of harm's way, helped me find peace with a walk in the woods.  Always moving daily, they haven't let me down yet.

My soft middle.  When I complained about how soft my waist was I was given a great reminder from my child.  "That's a Mom Pillow, it is so comfortable when we lay on the couch and watch a movie."  Wow.  A Mom Pillow, carrying two children, their stories etched in stretch marks and soft skin.

Mermaid Hips.  There's extra baggage there, how would I have balanced a child on my hip without that padding?  And who could carry two bags of groceries with a child without that padding holding them in place.

Cellulite on the butt - I always say that God gave me enough padding back there so when life bites me in the ass, there's still something left over.  I am also reminded that having a little padding is beneficial on that long bike ride, or falling on my trail run.  So what if is doesn't fit perfect into that bathing suit bottom, make fun of the waffle marks when you get up from that backyard chair.

Underarms - So there is a little extra, um, skin under my arms but where would I be without them.  How could I write if I didn't have them, how could I feed myself.  They may not be perfect but they are doing exactly what I need..

Mind.  No one sees it, but it really is my greatest asset.  Not ass-et but asset.  This amazing thing creates entire stories and writes them down, it comes up with something for the family when face with an avocado, beet and chicken breast in the fridge, and it always is the voice of reason when I try putting myself down.  I'll take that "she's a nice girl" or "she'll make you laugh" anyway, because people remember ten years later more than she fit into the G-string (and really, I'll never prove that to you anyway.)

I find it interesting that the most I covered up was back in my teens when I had the best body of my life.  I was the most self conscious back when, as I look on it, I looked pretty damn good.  Why was I so self conscious then?  Because we are given these perfect body images few can live up to.  A few years ago I made an important decision:  I work out for my health, but I don't have the time for the perfect body, I have too many other things to do.  Being fit and healthy is great, but I'm making sure I include happy in that equation, and that means turning around the conversation when I look in the mirror.  Each day I look at that body, fresh from the shower, let my mind be grateful that I am standing in front of the mirror, even with those extra wrinkles, rolls and curves.  These are part of the story creating this amazing person I am today, I wouldn't change a thing.  Next time you are asked to sum up your body in one word, what will come to mind?

Beautiful
Voluptuous
Curvy
Amazing
One-of-a-kind?

Because, yes, you are every single one of them.  Rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment