Friday, April 5, 2013

The Lost iPhone Adventure



Yesterday we were on the red eye flight from Salt Lake City to Charlotte.  As usual there was total chaos trying to get everyone moving and into the airport.

Setting the scene:

One rental car to return.
Three EVIL bags - bag 1 - 175 lbs snowboard equipment.
   bag 2 -  209 lbs of ski equipment.
   bag 3 - -  heaviest simply full of crap.  Well not exactly crap, but stuff.

Two boys in the back already starting the shoving match before they even exit the car.

Sitting at the departure gate (or bar next to it) I say, "Wow that was painless," reach for my phone and ugh!  Gone!

Wolfgang, my Rainman son has installed "Find My iPhone" on my iPad because I do usually lose me iPhone.  He plays a signal on the phone to see if it is in our bags, but no noise.  He hits "Show" and from a Satellite photo the iphone is sitting in the garage of Salt Lake Airport.

Hubby jumps up - you probably left if in the rental car, let me go get it (isn't he grand?)

As he leaves, my boys are convinced that someone has stolen my iPhone, and they are getting it back.

Here's how they think it goes:

They play emergency signal on the phone, with an emergency note stating, "This is a lost iPhone, please mail to this address."  Another emergency signal, another note, "We are locking this phone so you cannot use it without a password."  They explain to me that the perpetuator is probably bugged by everything the phone was doing and will leave it somewhere - they saved my phone!

How I think it goes:

The hubby finds it in the rental car, alarms start to go off.  Hertz attendants swarm him accusing him of stealing an iPhone.  Another alert pops up, he shows the message and eventually has to pull out his ID to show it's the same last name.  They give him the phone, and as he walks through the airport each alert is loud and clear, causing another stop (and possible strip search) at security.  And many people people to stare at him.  Needless to say, by the time he gets the phone to us, he throws it at us and asks it to stop.

How it really went:

The satellite was right, the red dot in the garage was my phone.  When it moved back to the terminal (as we played the emergency alerts) it went from the rental car to the lock box.  Once in the lock box, it cannot come out until a manager arrives the next morning.  When my husband arrives, they inform him of this then please ask him to turn off what ever is playing all the loud obnoxious sounds.

Find my iPhone - what a great app, I think?

No comments:

Post a Comment