Sunday, April 1, 2012

Musings of a Runner

Running this morning, I added a trail to the mix out of respect for Caballo Blanco, the Ultra Runner who was found dead in Mexico yesterday.  I started on the road and as always when I run, I am amazed at what I find along side of the road when running.


A set of birth control pills with several still in there.  Running, I'm thinking, "Hopefully that was the week where it's just placebo pills."  Then my imagination starts to roll - "Honey, that's it - I want a baby!"  And out go the birth control pills onto the road.  Or, "damn, these things didn't work!"  Out goes the birth control pills.  


The next thing I see is the head of a doll.  I can see the child holding the doll out the window saying, "weee!"  Then it hitting a stop sign and the poor child pulling in just a doll body.  Or the two children fighting in the back seat until someone gets hurt, and usually it's the doll.


I've seen condom packages, condoms out of the package, hairbrushes, hats, shirts, single shoes, AND CD's.  I've seen deer skeletons, too much road kill to count, and even taken a few injured animals home.  


That's the beauty of running, it's a time to mediate even if it is to wonder why the CD is sitting by the side of the road, did someone hate the song so much they pulled the CD out of the player and threw it out the window  Using my imagination to picture funny scenarios for everything I see by the side of the road, some that may actually be true!


What have you seen out there running?  Does it get your imagination rolling?

No comments:

Post a Comment