Wednesday, March 28, 2012

No, I won't SIT!



My dog is teaching me patience as I take her for her walk in the morning.  There are a few life lessons I could use from my dog.
Patience - my dog has bowels of steel.  How can she go on a 30 minute walk, starfish as we leave the door only to wait until we are back home to take a dump by MY front door?  That is a lesson in patience that I need, that good things come to those who wait, if you think you can do it, you can do it.  But especially, its amazing how fast you can walk when you have to go to the bathroom - great exercise!
Ask for the belly scratch - if you don’t ask for it, then you won’t get it.  I could do what she does and walk over to my husband on the couch and fall on my back in his lap with a happy look on my face?  Or I could lick his leg to get his attention?  If I don’t ask for it then I won’t get it - and when I do it feels oh, so good.
Nothing like stretching - I wish I could stretch my legs the way my dog can stretch hers.  She can be in mid walk, stop do a full stretch then continue about her way.  I try to stretch and muscles say, “wait a minute, what are you trying to do to us, we’re gonna cramp up on you!”  Better yet, find something soft to lay on and go into full stretch mode.
Stop to smell the poo - I know she has things to do, especially go to the bathroom the minute we walk out the door, but she always has time to stop and smell the poo.  It teaches me that I too, must stay up to date on the neighborhood happenings, she reads the poo, I should take the time to read the news.
It feels good to rip something up - sure it’s my underwear, the boys stuffed animals, a few stray socks, but she’s taught me to let my energy out - to rip things up a little bit.  Sometimes just because it feels good, and other times for attention - especially if falling in my husband’s lap doesn’t work - I’ll rip up his underwear!
My dog teaches me to love unconditionally, to accept everyone with their flaws and always, I mean always be happy to see them.  What lessons has your dog taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment