Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Breathing History - Montgomery AL

I took a morning jog,
time to meditate, contemplate
And as I heard the crunch,
the strike of foot to pavement,
I breathed history,
Not for the first time ever,
But the first time here.

I felt the smooth leather seats,
heard the soft country music.
Felt on top of the world but lost to everyone,
down that Lonesome Highway.

I felt a Southern victory but wondered at what cost,
I felt torn from my family,
I felt there were too many voices unheard,
and too many still just forgotten.

I felt the challenge of change,
Change of old but also change of today.
I wondered, are we at the same crossroads
And like them, and no one realizes it?

I ran and I thought, I thought and I ran
I wondered, are we breathing the same air
as them, are we traveling the same path,
they traveled and they're hoping
We'll make the right decisions?

Then I let the past remain the past,
As I ran into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment