Monday, April 13, 2015

The Birthday Cake Incident

A whirlwind of two weeks here, with two birthday's one week apart, and of course, Easter in the mix!  Did I tell you that both boys were due on the same day (must look up the 9 months earlier and see if it has any "significance") one coming right on time while the other chose a week early (thank God!).

So one birthday was celebrated with bowling and pizza in Park City, Utah, because yes, if we can chase the snow we will chase it as far as we could go.  The other here on Beech Mountain because most of their friends are in this proximity or can get here if needed.

RC Excavating came and dug out a hole for the trampoline, complete with stone steps and other amazing touches while we were in Utah, setting us up for the perfect surprise for their "second" birthday party.

Boys birthday party memory was not the trampoline, not the amazing food, not the friends that came to visit but "the cake."  I decided that it was time to sing happy birthday and cut the cake, walking in the house and setting up candles and lighting some fires.  All the kids stood around me as I proudly, like the Queen of England, started out the door.  At the last minute one of the candles went out (OK, a child blew it out) and I turned to relight it.  Of course, the cake, with candles, slid right off the travel and conveniently down my steps.


We all stood there looking at each other, like, "Did that just happen?"  Then of course a child wailed, "What about the cake?"

I looked at the blue icing and the cake down the steps and shrugged, "Well you better go eat what you can before I start cleaning."

There was a Who concert style dash along with a little cake in the face as most of the salvageable stuff ended up in someone's belly.  Then I was stuck trying to get Smurf blue icing off of my carpet, while tasting the cake myself.  (It was a little gritty but delicious)

My husband's infamous question still makes me laugh.  "How did you let that happen?"

Oh my dear sweet husband, sometimes cake happens.  Sometimes when you are standing with a light tray and realize there is nothing on it while your carpet is permanently blue, you one of two choices:
Laugh at the situation or,
Shrug and salvage (Go and get it kids)

I think I made the right choice as all the kids the next day at Carowinds were still telling their friends they met there, "You are not going to believe this story about cake!"

So yes, I can have my cake, I can throw it down the steps, and I can eat it too.

Does "cake" happen for you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment