Monday, April 20, 2015

I was on Instagram before Instagram was KEWL!

My children are starting to foray into social media.  Explaining to me that Instagram is the way to go, Facebook is for "old people."

I even had one of their friends say, "I deleted my Facebook account when my MOM tried to friend me!"

No, not a butt shot but Instagram worth, don't you think?
Oh my God, your Mom is on Facebook?  She really has a life she wants to share with the world? Oh wait, she's just a Mom, that person that takes care of you, not a real person.

Oh please, I've been on Instagram since, well, almost before you were born.  I was already on before Instagram was COOL or as the kids say KEWL!  How did I learn about this social media site before everyone else?  Unknowingly!

You see I had a rash on well, um, a place that is vampire white due to lack of sun.  And I couldn't see it in the mirror no matter which way I turned.  So I had a great idea, I'd take a picture of it with my phone, then save it so I can compare in a week after using a certain medicated cream.  Easy peasy, right?

I took the picture, examined it with my glasses on, turned the phone different ways, figuring it wasn't as bad as I thought and saved the picture.

Then my phone told me I had a new comment on my picture.  A new comment?  On what picture?

I clicked on the notification, and three of my friends had already commented on my rash picture that was saved automatically to Instagram.

"Ewwww!"
"Did you go see the dermatologist?"
"WTH?

Luckily, I only had 6 friends on Instagram, and they were good friends.  I was able to delete the picture, keeping them as friends.  One showed me the "do not automatically share" button on my phone, and voila!  My Instagram account, that I didn't know I had, was created, already linked to Facebook and Twitter.  Wow, this internet thing sure is easy.

So I got into Instagram before everyone else thought it was cool.  And I made my profile private making sure if I accidentally post another picture of my Bum, it's to my friends only.  And now with the children getting into it, it is all about the likes.  How many likes your picture got.

"Mom, you only got 14 likes on your picture.  You need more friends."

Well, my likes are "real" likes, they are people I actually know.  And I have enough drama in my life, I really don't need any more friends.  And really, who is defined by how many "likes" they received on their picture?

I wonder how many likes that first picture would get today?  

Let me go see if I can find it.

2 comments: