Monday, January 14, 2013

The Mall - Whatever.....

Going to the mall is one of the biggest reminder of getting old.  There's a totally different culture at the mall, including a language I do not understand.



My son left his jacket in the changing room at Abercrombie & Fitch last week (yes, I know shopping at Abercrombie and Fitch=seriously!) so while he was in the skate shop for something else (yes, another UGH in the mothering realm) I went in to see if they found it.

"Umm, welcome to Abercrombie."  Size 0, short shorts, tight plaid shirt, hair in pig tails.

"Umm, thanks."  (I can't help myself) - Mom in yoga pants, flourescent yellow running shirt and running shoes, hair in face.

"Feel free to shop around."  (Really?  Feel free, nothing in here is FREE)

"My son left his jacket in the fitting room last week and I was wondering if you found it."

"Umm, I don't know."  Awkward silence.  Brain fires again, "You can ask the people at the register."

I walk back to the register - two more size 0 girls - one in jeggings, one in a skirt, obviously someone sent home the memo for tight polo shirt on budding boobies, atleast the hair was not in pig tails.

"Welcome to Abercrombie, how can we help you?"  Well, a little bit better.

"My son may have left his jacket in the dressing room last week, do you have a lost and found?"

"I don't know.  Let me check."  At least she's admitting it.

I watch her walk over to all of the dressing rooms and unlock them and check in them.  My brain was not moving at warp speed like hers because it took me a few minutes to realize that she was looking for a jacket left in the dressing room A WEEK AGO!  She comes back, "No, it's not there."

I take a deep breath - yes we Moms that wear yoga pants actually do yoga - "Can you check in the back perhaps - maybe someone found it in the dressing room last week and put it in the back."

She looks at me, "Oh, OK."

I am already writing off the jacket as a lost cause, knowing that either it sat in the dressing until someone finally said, "I guess this jacket lying on the floor is free, so I'll just take it."  Or some nice Abercrombie employee, not working that night, is wearing a really nice jacket.  Or the jacket is sitting in some nice box labeled "lost and found" but since I asked her to look in the back, that probably did not mean the "lost and found" box.

She comes back empty handed, why am I not surprised?  "I'm sorry, we don't have it in the back.  But our jackets are 60% off now."

Well, there is some hope for humanity.  She actually tried to sell me something.

Every had a great mall experience?

4 comments:

  1. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I can't help it. They were so very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Really. And THAT is why I don't go to the mall, if I have to. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear...what is the world coming to? How can they manage to you know, like, pass a driver's test, to, uh, y'know drive n' stuff, to like, totally get to work? Much less, um...like, totes handle the benjamins once they're there, yo? >shaking head< Dear, oh dear... Maybe schools should think a little less about standardized testing and a little more about conversational English and problem solving skills. >sigh<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aint that the truth. Was thinking maybe if I spoke in text terms they'd understand better. Thanks for reading!

      Delete