Monday, January 14, 2013

How to cope with Monday

Why is it that Friday is so far away from Monday but Monday is so close to Friday?   Starting out the work week clawing my way out of bed, a few friends decided to give me some helpful advice


Have a purpose.  That I would find Monday's joyful if I had a purpose in life.

Oh yeah, I do have a purpose, it's called resting.  Sleeping.  Lying under my flannel sheets, listening to the rain and thinking, "I don't think I could ever feel more at peace than this very moment."  Then looking at the clock and going, "Oh well, there it goes."  

When the alarm goes off, jump out of bed right away.

That's called scaring the hell out of yourself.  Yes, that will start my day off right acting like there's a zombie killer in the house at 5am.  If I really want to do this right, I should put a nerf gun (we have plenty of those) next to my bed to complete the fantasy - nothing like a good adrenaline rush to get your morning started.

Get an extra hour of sleep by going to bed early on Sunday night

Well, that would be shortening the weekend.  Duh, we don't want to do that, the weekend is dah bomb of the week, we want it to last as long as possible and THAT'S why we stay up as late as possible.

Turn your shower to cold just before you get out.

Honestly, I think my husband put my friends up to this because the jump out of bed and cold shower thing only achieve one thing - me in the Emergency Room with someone holding the electric panels above me yelling, "Clear."

Move your alarm to across the room.

This causes the same jump out of bed, "What the heck is that?" reaction that yes, does get the blood flowing but away from the heart.  Plus if its all the way over there, my walk back to bed after hitting the snooze button is not comfortable on the cold floor.

Have you tried coffee?

Of course, I've tried coffee.  It's the only thing that makes Monday mornings tolerable.

Then my zen friend, the spiritual one - does this happen every Monday, do you think it is a sign of some type of long term emotional problem?

Yes, it happens every monday.  Yes it is a very good sign of some type of longterm emotional problem - as Bob Geldof once quoted it perfectly, "I hate Mondays."

What's your go to remedy for Monday morning blues?

No comments:

Post a Comment