Tuesday, January 8, 2013

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

I've been thinking for days about my word to add, and there are so many that fit right in.  What word could I use to make me sound smart?  What word could I use to make me sound worldly?  What word could I use to make me sound hip?

Did you know:

Squirreled is the longest one syllable word?

Strengths is the longest word with just a single vowel?

Rhythms is the longest word with 5 vowels?

As I was doing what I normally do, over thinking things, I was reminded of my Dad's "KISS" method.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

So my word is simple, simplify, simplification.

Life is complicated, why make it even worse with more complication?



I read about Occam's Razor - a basic principle that states among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected.  In other words, the answer is usually right there, staring you in the face while you're busy running around the bush looking for something else.  And the fewer the assumptions - the better.

So I plan this year to simplify - to clear out the clutter that occupies my mind, my closets, my cosmetic case, my training gear, my wallet.  I am going to be simple in what I say and what I do - with the constant barrage of content on the internet that makes us say, "That's not a real kitty...." or "That's a hoax," wouldn't it be nice to not have to question?

I always say that what I admired most of my Dad was that he was a simple man, it didn't take much to make him happy because he eliminated all the complications and stuck to what was important to him.  Family, friends, Faith and doing what you want to do, not what others tell you that you should be doing.

So as I move into my simple phase, maybe I'll even go organic - have you priced all the organic Prosecco Wines?  But there I go complicating it again.

Simple - a short, uncomplicated word - a goal that will make the journey as much fun as the destination.

What's one way you can simplify in your life?

6 comments:

  1. SIMPLE - it is so very perfect.
    Simplify, not complicated, one small step at a time. Sort of the story of my life right now, baby steps, one moment at a time - and one moment only.
    And also, love your F words.
    (we shall be fearless too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's plan it together my friend. Once you simplify the whole blogesphere thingy dingy for me....

      Delete
  2. I like this, but then I couldn't get past the part about Prosecco wines. I LOVE Prosecco. But then again? Prosecco is simple for me because I just order a glass sometimes when we're out. I don't keep it at home (that is a good thing), LOL.

    How about I hire YOU to simplify my life? I need lots of help. Oy. Still a really great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a very nice Prosecco wine at Trader Joes for $6.99 - oh happy day! Thanks for reading. Let me get my hoarding closets simpler and I'll gladly come work on yours.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite words is "ease" and that is exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish by infusing that word into everything I do - Keep It Simple!

    We do tend to complicate things sometimes but when I think about ease and simplicity, it gets me back on track.

    P.S. I love your dad's wisdom - a very smart man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kesha! Not just for stopping by but giving me another great word. EASE!

      Delete