Friday, February 5, 2016

Scoring With Dumpster Diving

I've written in my book about the fabulous dumpsters of Beech Mountain, and my amazing finds in those dumpsters. I thought I would share my most current find.

The Beech Mountain dumpsters become heaven to a dumpster diver several times a year, when houses are opened for winter rentals, when houses are closed for winter rentals, when houses are open for the summer residents and when houses are closed by the summer residents. 

The dump pretty much takes everything, the employees nice enough to sit out the "good stuff" for people like me to shop through.  I've found, vacuums, TV's, computer screens, paintings, and my outdoor furniture set at the Beech Mountain dump.

So when this lovely little thing appeared, there was Who Concert style rush to claim the prize. Of

course, I was able to elbow my way past everyone else, proudly bringing it home.

My kids looked at it and said, "Whoa."

My Husband looked at it and said, "What are we going to do with that?"

I didn't care, I'd won the prize, I'd found the most unique item in the dump.

then I was informed by the people working there, that my prize may be up there, but they've found way cooler stuff at the dump,

"I've got a wall at home full of Beech Mountain dump souvenirs.
cowboy boots
Bags of clothes with the tags still on
PBR Neon signs (I'm jealous on this one)
A family album of pictures with a knife lodged in the middle of it. (cringe)
A Vinyl record to CD recording machine
Phones
That exercise machine that hangs you upside down

Of course, the mornings in the summer when the bear pokes his head out of the dumpster as you walk toward it, as if saying, "Oh is the buffet closing for the morning? One more waffle then I'll be on my way."

We had a nice discussion comparing local dumpster diving, one giving me another invaluable tip, "If you want the good stuff, go over to App when school lets out. I once heard of someone furnishing their home with student stuff one year."

As I get ready to leave they ask, "Are you looking for something in particular? We can put it aside if it comes in?"

I think about it, "Oh I'll just come by periodically, I love the shopping.

What's the craziest thing you found at the dump?

Better yet, what would you do with my sombrero?

Have you picked up Views From 5506?

No comments:

Post a Comment