Monday, May 19, 2014

This A'int No Road Biking!

Let's get out and enjoy some mountain biking, they said.

It will be fun, they said.

You're a biker, you'll love it.  They said.

There are some real fundamental differences on Mountain Biking vs Road Biking.

Years of being clipped in on a road bike did not prepare me for unclipped mountain bike pedals.  I really had no idea how to start pedaling again.  With clipped feet, I am used to pulling UP when I pedal, my feet kept leaving the pedals!

The above problem is no fun at all when trying to navigate rocks, roots and narrow trails.

Rear brake, rear brake!!  I figured out why they kept telling me that as I flew over the handlebars stopping abruptly on the downhill.


I understand all the padding.  I've got chain marks on one leg, a bruise on the other and can't feel my hoochie hoo.

I understand you have to pedal and go fast to go over the stumps, roots, rocks and other shit - but that makes me go fast.

It is possible to be screaming on the downhill and sound like a "motorboat" from all the bumps on the way down.
Add caption

Did you know that mountain bikes have big knobby tires so you will bounce off of trees?  I found this out firsthand, right before I fell over.

Of course you are supposed to look the part.  UNTIL you start pricing out HOW to look the PART, then you declare yourself a naturalist because you cannot AFFORD to look the part.  (The same is true on road biking, but I've had 8 years to amass my collection)

When I went to the internet and searched mountain bikes, funny how most of the pictures that came up had something to do with falling.  (I am not alone)

So there you have it.  A committed road cyclist trying to get dirty on the trails, having quite a few of those "What the hell was I thinking" type moments.  Falling down, but getting back up, because I will not let anything beat me.

And I'm putting some towels around my hoochie hoo next time because if I get that tap on the shoulder one night this week, I'm going to groan and actually say, "Not now honey, my hoochie hurts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment