Saturday, June 29, 2013

Best Birthday Memories

Birthdays are about making memories with your family.  Here's two that really stick out for me.

My 12th birthday, my Dad bought me a Holly Hobby Diary.  My very first diary.  I was presented with the task now of writing out my innermost secrets and thoughts and had to devise a very methodical way of hiding the diary from my brother.  I still remember jumping into my parents bed in the morning telling them, "It's my birthday."  Of course, they knew that.

Mom gave some Avon perform in a pretty sheperd girl decanter, Dad gave me the diary.

Now when I read my inner most thoughts, I laugh at the entries.

"I hate piano.  I really hate piano.  No one knows how much I hate piano," and so on for an entire page.

"I just saw my brother pick his nose.  He is the most disgusting person ever!"

and my favorite:

"I know why the girls in the 8th grade have FAT purses, it is because they have SANITARY NAPKINS in there.  I want a fat purse."  Little did I know.

My other favorite memory was sitting with my Dad on my birthday at a bar in Ocean City and he proclaims that we both need to purchase KENO (the local lottery) tickets.  So we write out our numbers, 5 of them.  Then watch the bouncing balls as they hit the screen.

"I won a dollar!"  My Dad exclaims!
"Me too!"  I look at him in surprise.

How did we pick the same numbers?  We played our birthdays and our age.  Great minds think alike!

His:  6   26   31  65
Mine:  6  29  65  31

Too bad we didn't get the 5th number - we'd be rich.

Birthday's are about being with the people you love and having a great time.  Making new memories to add to the old ones!

What's your favorite birthday memory?

1 comment:

  1. I remember being grounded on my 14th birthday, being a new mom on my 24th birthday, and having a fabulous party on my 30th birthday. I totally agree, the best birthdays are the ones that you are surrounded by family and friends.

    ReplyDelete