Sunday, October 14, 2012

Woods of Terror - You want me to go first?



Recently I had the pleasure of going to Woods Of Terror on Church Street with my nephews.  I gave up horror movies a while ago, so knowing that I was walking into a horror movie style set, I made sure I was armed with two things, warm clothes as the park is outside and Depends because, well, you know, I am over 40.

We walk into the park, and the 14 year old and 21 year old are excited, I’m nervous because seriously, the last time I was in a haunted house it was when I was a teenager and they thought it was funny to throw spaghetti noodles on you saying it was intestines.

Woods of Terror was the real deal, for me it wasn’t the scariness of the movies, it was the more SURPRISE type scariness that I found to be a lot of fun.  Going through the door into the attraction, both boys pushed me to the front of the line with a feeble, “You can go first Aunt Kelly, you know, ladies first.”

What?  Me go first?  The first attraction involved pitch darkness and pushing through very tight spaces so I was glad that I went first, I could go as fast as I wanted to, rather than waiting for other scardey cats to get their courage and move forward.  My 14 year old nephew created grooves on my waist from holding tight, my 21 year old nephew protected me when someone jumped out from behind a corner.

Woods of Terror was the real deal, a lot of fun for someone who gave up horror movies a long time ago.  I enjoyed the surprise of the actors, and was very grateful that it wasn’t the demonic style creepiness.  I loved running through the corn until I hit the completely dark school bus knowing that something lurked in those seats and still surprised when it popped out.

My favorite part was the 3D portion of the attraction, the skulls on the wall felt like they were moving toward, the moving tunnel at the end had everyone laughing as they fell over trying to walk through it.  The work done on the park made each attraction look authentic, the long Freddy Kreuger claws on the entrance to a house was pretty cool.

We had zombies, vampires, movie stars (Michael Meyers, Jason, Freddy, etc) and all the actors stayed in characters and stayed away from us.  I like knowing that they cannot touch you because well, when you get older, your personal space is, well, personal.  The Virus Zombies were sniffing around us, the Vampire Gals wanted my nephew, the Pirates were pretty funny.

I would recommend Woods Of Terror for kids over 13, I think younger kids wouldn’t like the surprises though everyone would like the sets.  The zombie parade at the beginning gave me an idea of what to expect, I carefully avoided the one that pointed me out at the end of the parade when they were asked to “pick a victim.” 

This is a fun tradition to Halloween, grab a bunch of friends, strap on the Depends and go out and enjoy a good scare.  Don’t tell them I sent you because they scare you extra special as a thank you to Forsyth Family Magazine.

What’s your favorite holiday scare?

No comments:

Post a Comment