Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Is your cell phone dumming you down?

Now that everyone has decided that the only way to communicate is through text on cell phone, we've abandoned all semblance of decency as we let our phones take control.  We're creating our own code of talk and it's dumbing us down.

Normal phone conversation:

"Hey girl, can you believe those storms last night!  Wicked!  How is it going?"

"Oh yeah, I was up listening to the thunder, I love it.  Doing pretty good this morning, busy day ahead."

"Really?  What do you have going on?  Want to meet for lunch?"

"I've got several big meetings at work, then my refrigerator is bare so I've got to do something about that."

"I know the feeling, my family sometimes thinks I'm trying to starve them into submission."

But since texting, we've dumbed down all of our conversations so a normal conversation now turns into this:

"Hey, how u?"

"Fine, U"

"Lemme c, gotta hit the grocery store.  dislike."

"Ugh!"

A normal conversation full of words longer than four words would stimulate our brains wouldn't it.  A texting conversation has no substance and leads us to consistently misspelling words in daily life to save time.  I watched a teenager fill out a job application and under prior experience, she penciled in LOL.


With all the cellphones autocorrect, it's become commonplace to proposition anyone anywhere and get away with it.

Normal Conversation:

"Did you get the story I wrote and approve?"

New Conversation

"Sex in the potty a for you and me?"

The recipient of this text is not surprised at the proposition, his phone does the same thing when sending back a reply.  Actually, he's already translated what autocorrect did to the text and reads it to say, "Did you get the story for you and me?"  May not be totally correct but he understands there isn't anything remotely near the potty for the two of you.   People are now used to seeing the words, sex, poop, homophobic, meniscus, and other words as normal part of texting.

I'm trying to remain smart about this, trying to actually call someone and have a meaningful conversation in English without the word sex slipped in.   And a few of my friends when I do actually call them, their voice is bewildered on the other end (we still use phones for talking) as they answer with, "Yo, how u?"

Is your phone dumming you down?

No comments:

Post a Comment