Thursday, February 23, 2012

On the edge, and holding tight!

One of my favorite quotes is, "Life isn't about pulling slowly at the grave without a ding or dent on the body, it's about coming in with a screeching halt, full of dings and dents, on one wheel screaming, 'Man, what a ride!"

This quote tells me not to hold back because, holding back means regrets and I don't subscribe to these.  This also gets me in trouble when I choose a path because it intrigues me and halfway down I wonder, "What the hell was I thinking" but keep going.  I stood on a beach wondering, "they want me to run into the surf and do what" at the beginning of a race, when at the end it wasn't pretty but as I crossed the finish line I thought, "hell if I survived that, I can do anything."

This quote always put me over at the edge, which reminds me of another quote - stay over at the edge, every where else you're simply taking up too much room.  The edge has me writing that story, or that piece and tucking a small piece of my heart in it, giving it a kiss then letting the world to see - then being strong as criticism comes back.  It helps me to hide my editor and do what I want to do, even if there are people out there that don't like it (how'd they get there?)  This edge means writing or falling off, and I will choose writing every time.

How do you find your edge?  Move forward in your life until there's the slight feeling of being uncomfortable, your brain and instincts are nudging you with a slight "fight or flight" feeling and you've hit it.  If you are getting ready to start something and find that you're shaking, yup, you've found it.

We all know life is short, hell we hear that all the time.  Arrive at your grave with the dings and dents exclaiming what a ride, everyone gets passed in the slow lane.  Where's your edge?

No comments:

Post a Comment