Saturday, October 16, 2010

The art of surviving pumpkin carving with boys!

The poor pumpkin sat there for days, awaiting his fate.  It is a his, because my boys named him, "Turdalicious" no really, they were talking that but I made them settle on "Punky Pumpkin" boy Mom can be so boring.  So poor Punky watched as the boys came running out of the house with Psycho style knives, then after my yelling coming out again with the smaller Criminal Minds knives, the ice cream scoop (my idea).  We rounded what we needed with a stiff martini for Mom and at least two sips before the games begin.

I wonder if I should be afraid at the maniacle looks on their faces as I let them hold the knives to "sketch out" the face for Punky.  The first try at sketching involved a serious stab into the poor boy, so I banished them as Mom sipped the martini and started taking the lid off of Punky.  Once the lid was off, this is where the ice cream scoop came in, what easier way to carve out the "guys" (my boys term) than with an ice cream scoop!  The ice cream scoop along with two little arms to pull at the "gooey, chunky, yucky mass" (their words) we hallowed out Punky.  I have to keep the boys from stabbing each other, from taking off a finger as they both dig out the eye, keep them apart when they argue about who got the most "guts" out!  I can't tell if they enjoyed more the stabbing of the pumpkin or the gooey insides (is there an episode about this on Criminal Minds?)  Then we came to the face, both explained they wanted a scary, yet funny face.  A pumpkin that would have trick or treaters running screaming but would make them laugh.  How in the heck do you do that?  Another sip of the martini and I figure you're typical pumpkin face will accomplish the "look" we are going for. 

5 minutes into carving the face, I realize I'm by myself.  Both boys have disappeared to watch spaghetti cat on youtube and left me to stitch up poor Punky's wounds.  When I come in and ask them what they are doing, they simply tell me they are waiting for me to finish so they can supervise.  Aren't you supposed to supervise during the project?  And when do kids supervise the parents?

We make Punky into a true Jack o Lantern and they both say, "Our work looks good!"  Their work, their work?  I'm left with cleaning up the pumpkin goo, roasting the seeds, and finding the candle to bring Punky to life.  Little trick I learned, put the GOO in water and the pumpkin seeds will float to the top!  Punky and I high five each other and bask in the glory that is Halloween!  BOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment