Tuesday, November 24, 2015

WTF - Laundry Edition

I always quote Robert Frost during Laundry Day:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

Mine is a little different, I smile and say:

Dirty Clothes are not lovely, but they are deep.
And I have promises to keep,
And Piles to go before I sleep,
And Piles to go before I sleep.

I realized there are two different versions to doing the laundry.

Mom's Guide to Laundry:

Put the Vics Petroleum Jelly under your nose to cut the smell.
Go into each room picking up all the clothes off the floor.
One damp because the dog though, well if it is there then I must pee on it.
Separate everything out into Whites, Colors and Darks.
Wash Whites on Hot, with a cup of bleach.
Wash colors on Warm.
Wash Darks on Cold.
Pull each piece from the washing machine, fluff before putting in the dryer, this helps them dry quicker.
Pull everything out, getting pissed off that every single T-shirt is inside out.
Fold all the clothes.
Set them on beds for your angelic children to put away.

Easy right?

Kids Guide To Laundry.

Make sure everything is inside out. 
You underwear belongs still attached to your pants which are inside out.
Socks must be in tight balls, with several still snuggling under the covers of your bed.
Stuff as much as you can into the washer.  Hot? Cold? Warm? They are all clothes!!
Do not empty pockets, wash two chap sticks, one pack of Kleenex and a Jolly Rancher Candy.
Don't check anything coming out of the wash, pull it all in one big lump and stuff in the dryer.
Turn the dryer on the hottest setting because this will dry the clothes faster.
Pull everything out of the dryer.
Throw on your bed.
Wonder why you have oil stains on your jeans until you find empty Chapstick containers.
Move everything to the floor when you go to bed.
Figure if it is on the floor, then it's dirty.

Rinse, repeat.

Of course, for those Frost lovers, here's my version of the entire poem:

Whose clothes are these I think I know.   
I bought at Recess a week ago;   
They do not wear them, instead   
Drop them to the floor, beside the bed.   

As a Mom, I must think it queer   
Finding clothes on the floor when a hamper is near   
Between the bed and closet door   
That extra step must be a chore.   

Picking up a shirt, I give it a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
I swear I just laundered this piece a day ago   
I never saw a child wear it tho.   

Dirty Clothes are not lovely, but they are deep.
And I have promises to keep,
And Piles to go before I sleep,
And Piles to go before I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment