Friday, October 17, 2014

WTF - Ebola and The Doctor's Office

So I have a sinus infection.  I know I have a sinus infection.  I wish I could just call CVS and say,

"I have a sinus infection.  I'm coming in to pickup antibiotics."

But no, you have to go to the doctor.  You must pay your $35 co-pay, wait 45 minutes for them to look up your nose and say, "Wow, you have a sinus infection."

It was different today when I went to the Urgent Clinic.  We are now in the age of Ebola.

Everyone in the waiting room looked up at me as I walked through the door, I know what they were doing.

They were gauging whether or not I have Ebola.  They were checking me out to see if I looked like I had a fever, or I was projectile vomiting with diarrhea.

Their staring makes me stop at the door, "I have a sinus infection," I mouth out loud to assuage everyone's fear.  I wonder if I should tell them I took the "Do you have Ebola" test online and was thrilled when it said I did not have ebola.

Sitting down, you'd think we're all playing a big guessing game, "Who's the sick person here."  Not me, I just have a sinus infection.  They seem on edge, that's when I notice the poor dude in the corner wearing a mask.

Why does he have the mask on?
Does he have ebola?

I sit and fill out paperwork, if I have any pooping problems, how many glasses of wine I drink (I was referring to the week I was sick) if I am on any ongoing medication (does wine count?)  I wish I could just write, "I HAVE A SINUS INFECTION!"  All over the paperwork. I feel the sneeze and cough coming, immediately grabbing a tissue.

You think I'd just infected everyone with ebola, the horror on their faces.  I look around pointing to my nose, mouthing, "Sinus Infection.  I only have a sinus infection."

Two ladies, after giving me a disgusted look, grab some hand sanitizer (like that will help from ebola.)


I sit and wait with my raging headache, my puffy sinuses, Kleenex in hand.

Until the next person walks into the office.

Just like everyone else, I look up and stare at him.

He doesn't look like he's been from Africa.
He doesn't have a mask on.
I wonder what's wrong with him.
Could he have ebola?

No comments:

Post a Comment