Saturday, November 2, 2013

Is Love An Idea

My youngest now enjoys sitting under my desk, with the heater blasting on him during our quiet time together in the mornings.  He looked over at a book I was reading and mention, "You know Mom, Creative is not  a verb, it is an adjective."  I stopped what I was writing, "Well, for this book it is."  He shrugged and continued playing as I wrote in the quiet.

"You know Mom," he said.

A small part of me was annoyed because I was mid thought and as you get older you have to hold onto any thought you can because one second of change and they are gone.  But I reminded myself that this was our time together, "Yeah?"

"Love isn't really a verb either.  I think Love is a noun.  It's an idea."

My fingers froze on the keyboard as I thought about this.  Is it an idea, and when you find this idea, what do you do with it?  Is it those ideas that come in one ear and out the other, life being too busy for you take time and let it take hold?  Am I doing that these mornings, should I stop what I am doing and sit with him?  Or is the fact of us sitting together enjoying the quiet of the morning enough?

Did my love for my husband start as an idea?  I remember the feelings when I first met him, the quickening of my heart, the always wanting to be together.  Were those just feelings or did I flesh out an idea as we built our lives together, one step at a time.

An idea is a thought or purpose as to a specific course of action.  And when we fall in love, we know that course, that we are building a life together complete with the times that are difficult.  You can be in love with idea or you can run with the idea - making it real with the hard work it takes to make things happen.

If love is an idea, ideas requires creativity.  You mind must not only be open but it must be active for love to survive.  And being in a creative moment means losing yourself to it, just like being in love requires you to lose yourself in it.

I love the idea of love.  There is so many ideas in love.
The idea to wrap your fingers around a child's hand because they quietly reached over to you.
The idea that sometimes sitting and saying nothing is better than giving any type of advice.
The idea to take a walk and cool off rather than speaking what is on your mind.
The idea to let go, say goodbye, and let them feel peace as they move on.

So if love started as an idea, it's a pretty damn good one, and one that I think we all need to carry on.

Do you think Love is a Idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment