Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Is He Talking to Me? Or Hello There! - Beech Mountain, NC

Either on your first trip to Beech Mountain, or your 40th year of living here, there are two types of people on the mountain.  Those who wave and those who don’t wave.  

Those who wave are a very jolly lot, they are happy to be on the mountain, in the cool summer breeze and show it by showing appreciation to everyone they see.  This starts in the car.  When driving the roads of Beech Mountain, keep your right hand free from the steering wheel because you will spend a lot of time waving back to people you do not know.  This includes the driver in the other car just being courteous, the walker by the side of the road making sure you see them to your kids chasing behind the car because you forgot them.  “We's all family on Beech Mountain," meaning we expect everyone to be courteous, that means wave.

Non wavers are usually not from the area.  If they moved here and didn’t wave after the first few weeks, someone would explain to them that waving is expected on Beech Mountain.  An elderly friend came to visit, we were driving down to the Beech Mountain Club pool, I was stunned, he was clearly violating the wave policy of the mountain.  “Why are all these people waving to me?  I don’t know any of them.” He muttered, his hands staying at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel navigating the windy roads.  “They are trying to be friendly,” I answered back, waving for him, figuring if they saw me wave the sentiment was expressed therefore we stay in good standing.  “They need to go wave to someone else.” He muttered slowly driving his 15 miles per hour.  These people usually come from the North, where everyone isn’t family in a small given area, they usually think someone waving to them means stop and pick them up so they can rob you. Usually these types gun the engine continuing on.

Another non-waver is the new driver to Beech Mountain, they are so busy trying to navigate the switchbacks while not hitting other drivers, adding in a wave is just beyond their comprehension.  I was in the car with a new driver, explaining the wave policy, his face turning white, I added, “Don’t wave, I’ll do it for you.  Just keep your hands at 10 and 2.” So if you wave to someone and they don’t wave back with that deer in the headlights look, just figure they are trying to avoid a collision with you, quite possibly saving your life.

Some wavers are very enthusiastic, one example during the summer is the senior citizen.  If you see them waving at you in a panic, don’t worry.  You can still stop and ask if they are having a heart attack, but you’ll find the reason they are waving is for you to “SLOW DOWN!”  It doesn’t matter if you are doing 20 or 8 miles per hour, it will be too fast for this poor soul walking his little dog.  Just wave back at him and move along on your merry way.

The other type of enthusiastic wavers, are the people waving that actually know you.  Believe me, the longer you stay on Beech Mountain, the more people will know about you.  It will go from the casual acquaintance to the, “I saw your red 2013 Acura with the dent on the right front panel in the parking lot of the restaurant and thought I’d come in and say hello.”  No really, they will know the car you drive, the color of the clothes you wear on the ski slopes, to the color of your yoga mat for exercise class.  If they are waving enthusiastically, just do the same because you probably do know them, you just haven’t seen them yet without their goggles.

Which brings me to the friendliness of this small mountain town, everyone is family when it comes to Beech Mountain.  One epic family story involves a local legend, who I invited over to dinner after skiing on the slopes.  I never saw him that night figuring he got a better deal until the next day he was screaming at me from the lift chair, telling me to stop and wait right there for him.  He came flying down the hill with this story:

“You’re not going to believe it.  I went over to your house last night.”
“What? I didn’t see you.”
“Hold on.  I went in took my shoes off leaving them by the door like everyone else.  I am polite like that.  I went a grabbed a beer from the fridge, sat on the sofa for the football game, cracked open the beer then looked around.  I didn’t recognize a soul.”
“What?”
“I was in the wrong house!”  He was laughing, he was still with us so no one shot him.
“What happened?” I asked.
“Well, they invited me to dinner.” He said matter of factly.
Of course, we’re on Beech Mountain.  “What did you do?”  I asked, incredulous.
“I stayed and ate.”


So if you want to be part of Beech Mountain family, then practice your waves.  Your prom waves, your wrestler tap outs, to simply the “I don’t know you but I’ve read here that you are supposed to wave” waves, we’re all family on the mountain and you may just get a free meal out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment