Friday, July 3, 2015

Day Two - Hotel Wars

Day Two Hotel Wars

This time the drive was much shorter, as crossing from Virginia in the Chesapeake Tunnel moved to simply looking at corn fiields.

Me, “Let’s pull off into those little towns.”
Teenage Son, “Really Mom, what is there to do in a little town.  Especially when we don’t have a good internet connection.”
Youngest son, “Did your bed bugs go away?”
Teenager starts itching.

Given the chore of booking a hotel room, I was told by the hubby, “Find us something cheap.  With a breakfast.”

So that is exactly what I did.  I found us the Knights Inn of Virginia Beach, a lovely two room suite with kitchenette and piping hot breakfast.

The boys complained the room smelled.
The boys complained that several people in the parking lot looked like pimps.
I wondered how the boys knew what pimps were.
"Will someone rob us here?"  The youngest asked.

On checking out, no one wanted the piping hot breakfast as that meant eating your food in front of the hotel manager while standing in the lobby.  We opted for just a cup of coffee.

The next day as I drove, Dad was given the job of finding the hotel room in Baltimore.

“Guess what boys!  We have a two room GRAND SPA suite at the Inn a Black Olive!”

He went through the list:
All organic hotel.  Two rooms, two beds with turkish towels and sheets. 
Jacuzzi tup
TV that actually was the twentieth century.

A complimentary bottle of gluten free/organic mountain spring water.
Rooftop deck with restaurant

I stop the car and look at my husband.  “What did you spend on that?”

He looks back at the kids and winks, “I got a deal it was only 154/night!  Thank goodness for the Baltimore Riots!”

Both boys turn to me.  “And you got us the bed bug infested Knights Inn?”

I look at everyone.  “OK, one, I was given a budget of only twenty dollars.  And two, it was Virginia Beach.”

Both kids look at me, “We need Dad to pick out the hotel rooms from now on.”

We enjoy our spa suite, walk around Fells Point, with a dinner at Charleston’s, our favorite restaurant.  Tony Foremand and Cindy Wolf started at Savanah’s back when we lived in Fells Point.  We’ve followed them from different restaurants and different experiences.  Tonight I became one of those persons on the Food Network Shows.

For my first course I had a 23 year old Pappy VanWinkles bourbon.  Woodsy but delicious.


We both had Lobster Soup - brought out as lobster in the middle of a bowl with a curry reduction around it.  The intesne broth was then poured around it creating this amazing soup.

Followed by a Mushroom Tart - mushrooms with feta cheese and sauce in a puff pastry tart covered with edive.  The nice sherry we had added a different dimension to the meal as we tasted it with the food pairing.

Frozen Custard for dessert rounded the meal perfectly, the cool cream and a nice sherry complimenting each other.

We finished the evening taking our youngest on a walk through Fells Point, funny that as we walked up to the Cat’s Eye Pub, we left a friend sitting on those marble steps over 20 years ago, and as we walked up there he was sitting in the same place so many years later.  I wish we could say that neither of us had changed.


I am going to tell the children that I chose the room for this cruise, I really need to pick things up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment